Friday, August 28, 2009

My Newest Journal--Just in case...




On a recent trip I found this beautiful journal in an art store in Lafayette, Colorado, and just couldn't resist it. It is made of recycled leather, bound with waxed linen, and the pages are Arches Text paper. Journals are an obsession with me--I have no fewer than 56 of them that I've picked up here and there over the years. Unfortunately, my journals are blank, or nearly so. It seems my obsession has more to do with collecting the journals--not using them. The cost of this journal inspired me to learn to bind my own, so I'm going to take a class in October to learn how to do it, using the Long Stitch and Coptic binding methods.


I have kept journals sporadically over the years. In the last few years, I've been trying my hand at art/visual journaling, which I find appealing right now as it's so hard (and painful) for me to hand-write for any length of time because of my arthritic thumb joints. Art journaling doesn't take neatness or legibility. My urge to write and journal has been satisfied the last few years with blog entries on this blog and my garden blog. Typing doesn't bother me at all.


There is a journaling software I've looked into called 'Life Journal', but to date I haven't purchased it. Doing so would mean committing to a process that I may or may not use regularly--sort of like all my journals and huge collection of art and craft supplies just sitting there waiting, just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment