Friday, December 4, 2009

Dada Doings


While Goodwill shopping, I saw a few wine bottle openers in a basket of cutlery and noticed they looked like figures with outstretched arms, so I thought I could make some Dadas with them. Here a two of them, not quite finished, but you get the idea. The one above has a brass butterfly attached as wings. The base is a strange wood and tin thing--I cut it in two and used the second piece as the base for the second dada. Everytime I'm out at Goodwill, I look for similar openers. They come in various shapes and sizes, and seem to be made for dada making!



I really got into making Dadas after reading the book by Opie and Linda O'Brien, "Who's Your Dada: Redefining the Doll through Mixed Media". These bottle opener dadas were so much fun to make that I decided to take a weeklong workshop next year in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment