Thursday, February 11, 2010

Playing with Dolls


I had lunch with a friend recently and afterward, I decided to stop by an antique shop right across the street. It was the usual consignment place, with vendor booths thoughout the large space. I always go through all the old photos, looking for ones I can use in art and assemblage creations, and I found three 8" x 10" 1920's era photos. I thought the pose, dress, and expression on the person in this photo could be used in countless ways. This is the first of several applications I plan for her.
After copying, matting and cutting out this gal, I lined a small box with paper, inside and out, added matte medium, then glued on paper flowers and a feather butterfly with E6000.





I added a quote to the bottom of the box:




"May flowers always line your path and sunshine light your day.

May songbirds serenade you every step along the way.

May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that's always blue,

and may happiness fill your heart each day your whole life through."

~Irish Blessing

Paper dolls, flowers and butterflies are not my usual themes and the whole thing is kind of out of character for me and what I usually do, but it was fun to try something different.

The next "doll project" will occur when I leave for Mexico this weekend to attend a workshop on making found object assemblages reminiscent of dolls. Although Mexico is not a place I look forward to visiting, the workshop sounded too interesting to pass up.

No comments:

Post a Comment