Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ada S Poors Property



Years ago while on a historic district home tour, I saw what appeared to be the inside cover of a book hanging alone on the wall of a small bedroom. A childish pencil drawing of a dog was scrawled on it, and the rough edges of one side hinted that it had been torn from the binding. The pencil drawing was crude, obviously the work of a child. Scribbling on books seems to be something all children do. I was taken with the concept of using a simple thing like a marked up book cover as artwork, and loved the way it perfectly complemented the simple Shaker style furnishings of the bedroom. From that point, every time I went thrift shop shopping, I looked for old books that had been defaced in some way, so that I could make a similar wall hanging.

One day I found a cover with the inscription, "Ada's S Poors Property" written in it. I put an adhesive hanger on the back and then added this small art quilt that I had made months before. The subject seemed to fit Ada's declaration perfectly!

No comments:

Post a Comment